The condition of your car’s tires will determine how your vehicle is able to perform.
Your car’s tires should always be in pristine condition. Old, worn, and not properly inflated tires dramatically increase your odds of being in a collision. Even though your vehicle has four tires, all it takes is one burst bubble in the sidewall of a tire to create a deadly accident.
Car Accidents Caused by Faulty Tires
According to Safercar.gov, each year approximately 200 people lose their lives in tire-related car crashes. 11,000 accidents are directly related to a tire issue. If you have been hurt in a car crash resulting from a faulty tire, contact a Chicago car accident attorney from Willens Law Offices for legal help.
Staying Safe on the Road
One of the easiest ways to stay safe on Chicago roadways is knowing how to maintain your tires. Proper maintenance of your vehicle’s tires includes:
- Manually check the pressure of each tire at least once a month.
- Inflate your tires to the level recommended by the manufacturer. Underinflated tires may cause you to need more distance to stop, adversely affect the way the car handles, and put pressure on the outer treads which could potentially cause a blowout. Overinflated tires could also cause a blow out from the increased pressure.
- Drive a vehicle with a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS). This can reduce the odds of underinflated tires by up to 56%.
- Have your tires rotated and balanced regularly.
- The optimal tread on a tire is 2/32’’ or greater. This can be determined by putting a penny inside of the tread. If you can see Lincoln’s head, than the tire needs to be replaced.
- Do not forget about your spare tire when changing the tires on your car. Have it checked thoroughly to ensure that it too is in good enough condition to drive.
- If you do have a tire that needs to be replaced, replace all four or at the very least two. Having tires at varying levels of degradation can cause instability with your car.
Chicago Car Accident Attorney
Experiencing a blow out on a Chicago highway is a life-threatening moment where you lose total control over your vehicle. These scenarios can often lead to multiple car accidents. If you are involved in a car accident where a faulty tire was the cause, speak with Willens Law Offices at (312) 957-4166. With our help you can negotiate with the insurance company for a settlement that takes care of the damages you incurred.