The loss of a family member in a motorcycle accident can leave a family devastated.
Motorcycle accidents are the most dangerous of all motor vehicle accidents, because the injuries are often serious. A motorcyclist has no protection against a crash and even a minor crash can result in severe and life-threatening injuries. Motorcycle accidents have a high risk of fatality. The loss of a family member in a motorcycle accident can leave a family devastated. If the victim was the sole earning member, then a financial crisis is created from loss of income and medical bills.
Wrongful Death Claim
In the midst of the emotional trauma and financial difficulties, you may be wondering whether or not it would be worth the effort to make a wrongful death claim. Before you decide whether you want to pursue a claim or not, you should understand the possible damages that you may be able to recover if you decide to go ahead with a claim.
Types of Damages
It is not possible to put a dollar value on a claim unless all the aspects of the case are taken into account. Each case is different and will result in different damages. In a wrongful death claim, you may be able to recover damages for:
- Medical expenses incurred from the time of the crash until the victim’s death: You may be able to recover compensation for medical treatment for the injuries suffered in the accident.
- Loss of income: If your loved one contributed significantly to the family’s income, then you would be able to recover lost income from the date of the motorcycle accident until the anticipated retirement date.
- Out-of-pocket costs: You can recover other expenses such as the cost of the motorcycle and other out-of-pocket expenses resulting from the crash.
- Funeral expenses: Funeral of your deceased loved one can be very costly and you may be able to recover compensation for the expenses.
- Non-economic damages: You can recover compensation for your intangible losses including pain and suffering and other non-economic losses.
Chicago Fatal Motorcycle Accident Attorneys
The damages that you may be able to recover in a wrongful death suit after a motorcycle accident will depend on the circumstances of the case. Talk to a Chicago motorcycle accident attorney from Willens Law Offices to get an accurate assessment of the potential damages. Call us at (312) 957-4166 for a free consultation.