A Chicago bus accident can involve any type of bus, but one of the most tragic is a school bus accident.
Unfortunately, the majority of school bus accident fatalities involve children who are struck and killed by their own bus. The advantage of this is that school bus drivers are trained and behave consistently, so if you teach your children the proper rules, they can avoid the dangers of a bus accident.
Here are some basic tips for keeping your kids safe:
- Accompany young children (K-1 are up to 15 times more likely to be killed in a bus stop accident than older children)
- Dress them in bright, high-contrast clothes
- Arrive on time so they don’t have to run to catch the bus
- Encourage them to wait far back from the road (10 feet is the recommended distance, but not all stops have this much room)
- Watch out for loose shoestrings and other dangling items that can catch and cause an accident
- Remind children not to start loading or unloading until the bus has come to a complete stop
- Have children cross in front of the bus, but far enough that they can be seen
- Remind children that although drivers should stop, they don’t always. Kids need to watch for passing motorists.
These tips will help keep kids safe from bus accidents at the stop.
If your child or someone else you love has been hurt or killed in a bus accident, at a stop or elsewhere, you may be able to receive compensation for the injury or loss.
Contact Willens Law Offices to Receive a Free Consultation from an Experienced Attorney
To discuss your personal injury, medical malpractice, car accident, wrongful death, or Illinois workers compensation case, call our Chicago Personal Injury Attorneys today at (312) 957-4166 to speak with an experienced personal injury attorney. Initially, we will listen to you and offer you guidance. We see this initial FREE consultation not only as a way for us to get to know you, but also for you to better understand who we are and what we can do, so you can feel comfortable making the decision as to which law firm to hire.
Request a Free Consultation