At Willens Law Offices in Chicago, we have assisted many grieving families find the answers they need and deserve after a fatal car accident.
If you need to read this post, our hearts go out to you. Losing a loved in one in a fatal car accident is simply devastating and upends your entire world. Even while you’re overwhelmed with grief, you are likely consumed by the questions: How could this possibly happen? Who is to blame? What will I do now?
At Willens Law Offices in Chicago, we have assisted many grieving families find the answers they need and deserve after a fatal car accident, as well as help them recover financial compensation to help pay for funeral expenses, reimburse lost income and more. We would like to help you too. To this end, we have complied the following list of things you should do – or shouldn’t do – after a wrongful death fatal accident. This list will help you secure your rights and protect your family.
- Inform relevant insurance companies. You should contact your loved one’s life insurance, auto insurance and other insurance companies as soon as possible after the fatal accident. Some of these may help pay for funeral and related expenses. With respect to the auto insurance company, you may be entitled to a rental car under the policy if your loved one was driving your household’s only vehicle at the time of the crash.
- Secure all documents relating to the car accident. Keep in a safe place all documents relating to the car accident, including police reports, photographs, accident reconstruction reports, medical records, autopsy reports, witness statements. You will need these later if you file a claim against a negligent driver. If you do not have many of these documents, a Chicago wrongful death car accident lawyer can help you collect them.
- Avoid speaking to an insurance adjuster from another company. If a negligent driver is responsible for the death of your loved one, that person’s insurance company may try to contact you. They may offer to pay for funeral expenses or offer you a low-ball sum as a settlement. But beware! Remember that no matter how kind or compassionate insurance adjusters may sound – or how tempting their offer – their job is to give you as little money as possible. Never assume that they’re giving you as much as you actually deserve. Do not speak to them without first consulting with a wrongful death lawyer.
- Contact a knowledgable Chicago wrongful death car accident attorney. In the case of a fatal collision, you should contact an experience car accident lawyer as soon as possible. Your lawyer can conduct an immediate and thorough investigation of the facts, help find and obtain statements of witnesses to the accident, retain professionals to reconstruct the accident, if necessary, and file a lawsuit against any and all parties responsible for the death of your loved one. Your attorney will be the one to stand up to unscrupulous insurance companies that try to give you as little money as possible or blame the victim. And your lawyer will fight for your rights to receive compensation such as:
- funeral and burial expenses
- medical expenses arising from the accident
- loss of income and future income
- pain and suffering
- loss of companionship
- rehabilitation, therapy and other costs
We realize that no amount of money could truly compensate for the love and companionship of your loved one, but holding the negligent parties responsible for the death of your loved one culpable can help secure your financial future and keep you from sliding into ruin.