In Illinois, workers’ compensation benefits are available for all injuries suffered during the course of your employment. This includes accident injuries suffered during business trips.
Even if you weren’t actually engaged in work-related activities at the time of your accident, you may be able to get compensation for them. However, it’s not always easy to tell whether your accident would be covered.
Injuries that are clearly covered include:
- Accident injuries suffered during transit. After all, your travel is business related.
- Strains and sprains as a result of hauling heavy work equipment
- Injury suffered at a business meeting or event
Injuries that would likely be covered:
- Slip and fall injury at the hotel
- Accident injury or illness (such as food poisoning) during meals
- Injury associated with recreation at the hotel or meeting venue
These would likely be covered because they are closely associated with work. After all, it’s foreseeable that you would stay in a hotel, eat meals, and engage in some recreation opportunities offered at or near your business or accommodation.
Injuries that likely will not be covered include:
- Injuries related to outdoor activities or secondary travel away from the meeting site
- Injuries due in whole or in part to drunkenness
- Injuries related to illegal activities or those explicitly forbidden by employer
Contact Willens Law Offices to Receive a Free Consultation from an Experienced Attorney
To discuss your personal injury, medical malpractice, car accident, wrongful death, or Illinois workers compensation case, call our Chicago Personal Injury Attorneys today at (312) 957-4166 to speak with an experienced personal injury attorney. Initially, we will listen to you and offer you guidance. We see this initial FREE consultation not only as a way for us to get to know you, but also for you to better understand who we are and what we can do, so you can feel comfortable making the decision as to which law firm to hire.
Request a Free Consultation