Inexperienced motorcycle riders can present a serious risk to other drivers.
For many commuters, a motorcycle is the primary mode of transportation to school or work. However, the transition of a novice rider to an expert does not happen overnight. It takes months to master the delicate art of motorcycle riding. At any time there are numerous inexperienced and unsophisticated riders on the road. In addition, some of these riders are risk-takers, daredevils, and overconfident riders. These riders put their own and the life of others at serious risk. According to available statistics, close to 100,000 young adults in the age group of 12-24 years died in rider inexperience accidents from 2003-2012.
Common Mistakes of Inexperienced Riders
- Failure to ride the motorcycle at a safe speed according to the road conditions.
- Failure to maintain a safe distance from the vehicle in front.
- Texting and driving and other types of distracted riding.
- Failure to look both left and right before entering a four-way stop or an intersection.
- Failure to be aware of the traffic on the right and left before negotiating left hand turns.
- Failure to use a turn signal when changing lanes.
- Failure to give way to emergency vehicles.
- Braking mistakes, such as failure to use the brakes correctly, braking too quickly, and over reliance on the rear brakes.
- Failure to adhere to traffic regulations and posted speed limits.
- Drinking and riding or riding under the influence of drugs.
- Failure to wear proper safety gear while riding.
Chicago Motorcycle Accident Attorney
If you have been injured by a negligent rider, contact a Chicago motorcycle accident attorney from Willens Law Offices. Call us at (312) 957-4166 for a free cnsultation.