Wearing the right motorcycle safety gear can save your life if you are involved in a motorcycle accident.
When riding a motorcycle, it is important to wear appropriate safety gear that offers protection and is comfortable, well-fitting, and durable. Here is a list of motorcycle safety gear that will offer protection in the event of a motorcycle crash.
A helmet is by far the most important safety accessory. Even though Chicago does not have a mandatory helmet law, it is important to wear a helmet whenever you ride for your own safety. Consider the following features when you choose a helmet:
- Vents: Proper ventilation makes it easier to wear a helmet even in warmer weather. If the helmet has proper vents and does not feel too hot, it is more likely that you will wear it.
- Hard outer shell: The harder the outer shell, the better it will protect you from external shock and penetration.
- Comfort liner: It is important that the helmet you choose fits perfectly and does not obstruct your view. A comfort liner ensures a secure fit.
- Retention system: This feature is important, because it secures the helmet to your body in the event of a crash.
- Visor: A visor keeps bugs, wind, and other debris at bay and lets you drive comfortably.
- Impact absorbing liner: A liner absorbs shock on impact and makes helmet more effective.
There are a wide variety of helmets available in the market. While some helmets offer complete protection, others do not have visors or protect the whole face. Partial helmets do not protect the jaw area and mouth. Use a full-face helmet for complete protection.
A motorcyclist should always wear a protective jacket and pants. While riding, protective clothing provides protection from the elements. Choose clothing made of sturdy and durable material such as leather, ballistic nylon, and cordura. These materials offer protection both from the elements and injuries in the event of a crash. Make sure the protective gear you choose is slightly bigger than your regular clothing. Ill-fitting protective clothing can do more harm than good by becoming a distraction. Purchase a jacket with a high collar and layer your clothes to avoid being too cold or hot.
Proper footwear protects you from motorcycle parts that tend to become too hot and offers protection from roadside debris. Choose footwear with good soles so that you get a good grip of the motorcycle and the roadway. Boots make a good choice as they can protect you from foot and ankle injuries as well.
Wear snug fitting gloves that do not interfere with steering. They should help you with a good grip and protect from injuries and elements. Wear thin gloves in the summer and thicker ones in winter.
If you have been a victim of a motorcycle crash caused by a negligent driver, contact a Chicago motorcycle accident attorney from Willens Law Offices. Call us at (312) 957-4166 for a free consultation.