Truck Accident Lawyers in Chicago, IL
Willens & Baez is a top-rated law firm with an award-winning team of Chicago Personal Injury Lawyers and Truck Accident Attorneys who can help you when you have been injured in a truck or big rig accident. Since we charge no legal fees, unless and until we succeed in obtaining a monetary recovery for you, you can count on us fighting hard to get you the compensation you need and deserve.
We know that an injury case has the potential to take over a person’s life, making it difficult to move forward. People turn to us for the dedicated, caring help they require, regardless of the type of accident they were in or the type of injury sustained. We want to help them take control of their situation so they can focus on what matters most — getting back on track. This is also why many of our firm’s cases are referred to us from other lawyers and law firms who trust us to handle their friends, family members and clients’ personal injury cases.
Why Let Willens & Baez handle your Chicago Truck Accident?
First and foremost, when you call Willens Injury Law offices, you get a professional, compassionate Chicago truck accident attorney who will listen to you about your case. You are not just a number to us – you are a client who deserves our hard work and understanding. Because of this philosophy, we are effective at representing you throughout the legal process. You can count on us not only to listen to you but also to fight for the success of your claim, even in the face of powerful opponents. And in our years of experience in personal injury, our success has been proven over and over again with million-dollar settlements and verdicts.
Our legal professionals have gained multiple awards and recognitions in the national arena. But for us, the best proof of our work is the feedback from clients who, like you, have suffered from accidents but are now able to enjoy their life again after our legal service. When it comes to accidents involving trucks, we have years of detailed experience. So if you or a loved one has been involved in an Illinois truck accident, give us a call and schedule your free consultation today.
Willens & Baez serves Chicago and surrounding areas. We are available 24/7. If you can’t come to us, we’ll arrange to come to you. Your consultation with us is free.
Call (312) 957-4166 For a Free Consultation
Need an Experienced Chicago Truck Accident Attorney?
When you call Willens & Baez, you get a professional, compassionate lawyer that will listen to you about your case.
When an Illinois truck accident leaves you suffering, call Willens & Baez for the professional yet compassionate legal service you need.
Tractor-trailers, 18-wheelers, and semi-trucks are a part of the American way of life, transporting goods for us. But even though you have to regularly share the road with these large vehicles, you don’t have to accept the injuries and damage they cause. In a city like Chicago or a state like Illinois, where busy highways traverse fickle weather and geography, truck accidents happen. And when it happens to you, we’re ready to serve you with competence and compassion.
I really appreciate all the help you have given me in sorting out this matter. Should I, or anyone I know be in need of legal services, you will be the 1st person contacted.
– K.L. a former client
4 Things You Need To Know About Truck Accidents
Did you know that trucking accidents are much different than regular car crashes? It’s not just because of the sheer weight and size of a truck – there are more factors at play in such an accident. Consider the following:
- The Causes of a Truck Accident Can Be Complex: One of the commonly cited causes of truck wrecks is fatigued drivers because truck drivers typically drive long hours and distances. Another common factor is defective truck parts, especially malfunctioning brakes. There are also undertrained or inexperienced operators, improper loading of cargo, and lack of truck maintenance. Investigating the factors leading to a truck accident is often not as straightforward as in a car crash. Learn More About Common Truck Accidents
- Other Parties, Aside From the Driver, May Be Liable: Many of the trucks we see on the road are commercial vehicles – that is, they are owned and operated by a company. When a commercial truck is involved in a crash, the trucking company may also be held responsible, aside from the truck driver. There are even cases where a truck manufacturer also shares the fault due to their negligence that leads to malfunctioning truck parts.
- You May Have to Face Powerful Truck Companies: In an accident where are a large company is involved – such as a trucking company, a shipping corporation, a truck manufacturer, or even a vehicle leasing firm – you can expect to face a powerful opponent in your claim. Such companies have extensive legal resources to minimize claims against them. To protect your rights and fight for what you deserve, get the help of an accident lawyer who genuinely cares for real people instead of companies.
- You Need to Act Quickly: In the aftermath of a truck accident, you may feel confused and daunted. But remember that if you want justice, you need to take legal action as soon as you can. A body of law called the Statute of Limitations sets deadlines for filing an injury lawsuit. In Illinois, that time limit is two years after the date of injury. For the best chance at success, call an injury lawyer immediately after your accident. Contact a Chicago Truck Accident Lawyer
Thanks very much for handling my case and doing so much for me. People like you make the world a better place.
– M.T. a former client
Do Not Settle After A Truck Accident
A truck wreck leaves so much loss in its wake. You are likely saddled with steep medical bills, plenty of missed workdays, high rehabilitation costs, and of course, emotional distress. With these huge burdens, you likely need the relief of monetary compensation.
However, it is important not to settle right away with anything that a company offers you. Truck companies, their insurance firms, and their lawyers are known to have tactics to undermine compensation claims. These tactics include offering you a small amount for settlement – an amount that may be much less than you deserve. Many truck accident victims are vulnerable to this, not even realizing the real value of their case.
You’ll want to protect your rights and best interests after an accident. Before you say anything to these companies, please consult with an injury lawyer who can guide you on what the law entitles you to. Willens Injury Law can provide you with a knowledgeable Chicago truck accident lawyer that can effectively help you obtain the compensation and justice you truly deserve.
Truck Accident Causes In Illinois
There are a lot of reasons for a truck accident, and often, it’s a combination of factors that leads to a wreck. Here are some of the common causes and factors:
- BLOWN TIRES: You can imagine the heat and pressure placed on the tire of a tractor-trailer. Sometimes, they can rupture. Some companies will even use retread tires; in this case, the glue holding the tread can separate and a massive sheet of metal-laced rubber can be released into your windshield.
- BRAKE FAILURE: You’ve seen emergency truck ramps while driving down steep grades. Large truck brakes can overheat and fail.
- DRIVING ERROR: The difference in size between a Honda and a tractor-trailer is enormous. Large trucks have more blind spots than your passenger car, so when changing lanes, a truck driver might not see you.
- DRIVER FATIGUE: Some companies push their truck drivers too far. This results in overworked drivers who are tired, slow, or drowsy behind the wheel. Learn More About Truck Accidents Caused By Driver Fatigue
- DISTRACTED DRIVING: Truck drivers can be distracted not just by mobile phones and devices, but also by items related to their jobs such as route maps, radios, and even paperwork in the vehicle. Learn More About Distracted Truck Driving
- INEXPERIENCED DRIVER: Driving a large vehicle requires special exercises. Even though federal regulations require truck drivers to go through a certain amount of training, many companies still undertrain their employees. As a result, these drivers are less capable of handling tricky situations on the road.
- OVERLOADING: Sometimes, too much weight is placed on the trailer. This makes the load unstable and more susceptible to an accident. Learn More About Overloading Truck Accidents
- UNSTABLE LOADS: Heavy loads might not be latched down correctly. If a truck hits a bump and you happen to be driving behind it, there could be too much debris to dodge. Improperly loaded cargo can also cause a truck to lose its balance very easily.
- LACK OF VEHICLE MAINTENANCE: Every truck must be inspected and deemed safe before it can go on the road. Truck operators are required to ensure that their vehicles are compliant with current safety standards. However, numerous trucks slip through these inspections and navigate the highways with outdated safety measures.
Facts About Illinois Trucking Accidents
The weather, geography, and hectic activity on Illinois roads, especially in the Chicago metro, are a recipe for truck disaster. These statistics from the Illinois Department of Transportation’s 2015 Crash Facts support this:
- In 2015 alone, Illinois had 11,769 crashes involving tractor-trailers.
- Of these, 80 were fatal and 1,914 resulted in injuries.
- A large majority of the persons injured and killed in these crashes were occupants of other vehicles (not of the trucks).
It also doesn’t help that Chicagoland is continuously bustling with motorists. As one of the most populous cities in the US, Chicago is home to the most dangerous intersection in Illinois. That intersection is Stony Island and South Chicago Avenue, according to collated data on motor vehicle crashes.
Thank you so much for taking such good care of me. I can’t even begin to tell you how much I appreciate it. Thank you for all of you hard work!
– K.L. a former client
Other dangerous intersections in the area, according to a Chicago Sun-Times report, include La Grange Road at I-80 westbound ramp in Will County, Cicero Avenue, and 127th Street in Alsip, North Avenue at First Avenue in Melrose Park, and Ogden Avenue at Illinois 59 in Naperville.
Motorists are always advised to exercise caution especially around these intersections, but unfortunately, it only takes a small negligent action to cause a devastating truck wreck. Many trucking companies and drivers today are still able to get away with negligence, especially in the form of safety violations. This carelessness often leads to catastrophic outcomes such as brain injuries, spinal damage, paralysis, amputation, disfigurement, and death.
When trucking negligence results in suffering for you and your family, it’s only right for you to fight for the justice you deserve. Do not hesitate to call us at Willens Injury Law and talk to us about your truck accident.
Common Types of Truck Accidents
The weight and size of commercial trucks pose safety hazards for other vehicles sharing the road with them.
A truck can weigh anywhere close to 80,000 pounds and are not easily maneuverable as compared to passenger vehicles. A collision between a truck and a small car can have a disastrous outcome. Statistics reveal that a driver of a passenger car is 70 percent more likely to be killed in an accident with a large truck than in an accident with a car.
The type of truck accident is dependent on the circumstances surrounding the accident site. The seriousness of the accident and the severity of injuries sustained also depend on the type of accident. Some accidents result in minor injuries, whereas there are others that can cause debilitating and life-altering injuries and even death. That’s why it’s so important to reach out to an experienced truck accident lawyer in Chicago.
This type of accident happens when the brake of the drive axle of the tractor-trailer locks up causing the trailer to start skidding. The skidding of the trailer stops only when the tractor and the trailer are at a 90-degree angle. During this skid, the driver does not have any control over the truck and any vehicle which gets stuck at a 90-degree angle can get dragged along. The truck, generally, tends to roll over after it comes to a stop.
A truck rolling over its side or roof can have disastrous consequences for the truck driver as well as the occupants of any other vehicle getting stuck under the truck. A truck may roll over due to various factors such as high speed, sudden braking, steep incline or decline, taking a turn too fast, tripping over a curb, an obstruction on the road, or attempting to correct a drifting truck.
Large trucks, due to their large size and heavyweight, require a much larger distance to come to a complete stop after the application of the brakes. If the driver has miscalculated the distance, the truck can end up hitting the rear end of the vehicle in front.
This happens when a smaller vehicle crashes into a truck from behind or the side. Due to the size difference, the smaller vehicle can get stuck under the truck causing severe head injuries to the driver and passengers of the car, which may be fatal.
Road Construction Accidents
A truck driver may face difficulty in maneuvering a truck through a construction zone. An accident like a collision or a roll-over is extremely hazardous for the construction crew and small vehicle getting stuck in the way of the truck.
A Lawyer That Cares For You
After a devastating accident, taking legal action may not be one of your priorities because of the strain associated with the legal process. But at Willens & Baez, we can guarantee that your fight for justice won’t pile on any more unnecessary stress for you. This is our first mission as a law firm: to provide you with down-to-earth, compassionate service so that you can focus on your healing.
With Willens Injury Law, you will get an effective truck accident attorney in Chicago along with:
- Lawyers who are accessible and truly listen to you
- Clear answers to your questions
- Constant communication throughout your case.
Willens Injury Law Office is ready to provide this caring service to you anytime. Please feel free to talk to us about your truck accident injury. For your free, no-obligation consultation, call us at (312) 957-4166 today.
Illinois Truck Accident FAQs
How much am I entitled to for my truck accident injuries?
Compensation (also called “damages”) in injury cases vary widely depending on many factors, including the severity of injuries and the circumstances leading up to the accident. In general, you may be able to claim two types of damages:
- Economic damages: These are losses that have a clear monetary value such as medical expenses, lost wages or earnings, and rehabilitation costs.
- Non-economic damages: These are less tangible but may be assigned a dollar value. Examples of such damages are pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment of life, and emotional distress.
To get a clear and accurate assessment of how much your case is worth, it is best to consult with a lawyer who specializes in truck accident injuries.
This depends on whether or not the trucking company has legal liability over the truck or truck driver involved. For instance, the company likely has legal responsibility if the negligent truck driver was their employee, or if the defective truck was owned and maintained by them. On the other hand, if the driver or the truck was simply contracted by the company, this may reduce the company’s liability.
It’s important that you discuss this matter with your attorney so that all the liable parties in the accident are pinpointed and made to face the law.
A loved one died in a truck wreck. What am I entitled to?
When someone in your family has died due to another party’s negligent actions, it may be a case of wrongful death. Though nothing can ever replace the life lost, you may be entitled to monetary compensation to help relieve the burden you are carrying. Aside from economic compensation, which covers medical, funeral, and other expenses, you may also be compensated for non-economic losses such as emotional distress and loss of companionship.
Talk to us at Willens & Baez to see how you can find relief in what the law provides for you.
How much does an Illinois truck accident lawyer cost?
Most injury lawyers charge on a contingency fee basis, which means you do not have to pay any legal fee unless and until you obtain an award from your case. At Willens & Baez, your initial consultation is also completely free. With us, you can get high-quality legal service without paying out of pocket.