Driving a SUV often makes people feel safer because they are in a bigger, sturdier vehicle.
Many people believe that if they are driving an SUV and get into a crash with a smaller vehicle such as a passenger car, they are less likely to feel the impact and suffer injuries. However, this may not be true in all cases, because SUVs are generally taller than other cars and may be more prone to rollover car accidents.
SUV Rollover Crashes
When a SUV rolls over, the passengers inside the vehicle can suffer serious injuries. If the roof collapses and is crushed, this can lead to serious head injuries. In SUVs, the seatbelts may not tighten automatically in the event of a rollover as it would in other types of crashes. The door latches may not secure properly, exposing the passengers to the risk of being ejected and getting seriously injured or even killed upon impact.
Common Injuries Suffered in SUV Rollover Crashes
- Head and brain injuries: If the roof of an SUV collapses or gets crushed, it can result in serious head and brain injuries. The victim may sustain facial lacerations from broken glass or skull fractures.
- Chest injuries: If the airbags fail to deploy, the victim may experience bruised or broken ribs.
- Neck injuries: If the head and neck jerks in a way that causes the neck to overextend, the victim may suffer whiplash. The victim may also suffer a slipped or herniated disc that can cause immense pain and nerve damage.
- Back and spinal injuries: Herniated or slipped discs are common injuries reported in SUV rollover crashes. A broken or bruised spinal column is also a serious injury that can result.
- Broken bones: Forceful impact can cause the bones to break. Broken legs or arms can be painful and take a very long time to heal.
- Bruises, cuts, and scrapes: These can be serious and disfiguring.
- Soft tissue injuries: SUV rollover crashes can cause ligaments, tendons, and muscles to stretch or become torn, and this can affect the victim’s ability to move the affected limbs, interfering with daily activities.
If you have been injured in a SUV rollover crash, chances are that you are facing huge medical bills and you may be unable to work for a long time. Seek legal advice from a Chicago car accident lawyer to ensure that you receive compensation that covers all your expenses. Call Willens Law Offices at (312) 957-4166 for a free case evaluation.