As the weather warms up, many travelers will start planning road trips. Here are some safety tips to keep in mind.
Road trips can be short picnics in the vicinity with friends or family or they can be a long journey across the country. The most important thing is to be safe when on the road so that automobile accidents can be avoided. If you are planning a road trip, take certain precautions to ensure that you and your fellow passengers reach your destination safe and sound. Safety is not only about driving safely, but also about planning your trip properly and inspecting your vehicle in advance. Some tips for road safety from our Chicago car accident attorney are given below.
Prepare Your Vehicle
Perform basic safety checks on your vehicle to ensure that it is ready for the trip. These checks become essential if you are planning a long trip. The checklist for various components are as follows:
- Tires: Maintenance of tires is essential during the summer. Increased temperature along with added load and long distance travel puts an additional burden on the tires, making them prone to wear. Check the air pressure in the tires, including the spare one. Inspect the tires for any wear and irregular tread patterns; if found, it is time to rotate the tires or replace the badly worn ones.
- Belts and hoses: These are essential components for proper running of the engine and the vehicle. If you observe any blisters, cracks, or cuts on the belts and hoses, it is time to replace the ones showing wear.
- Fluid levels: Engine oil, brake fluid, coolant, transmission, steering, and wiper fluid levels should be checked and replenished if found low. Check for any leaks and get them fixed before starting your trip.
- Wiper blades: Wiper blades should be free of damage or wear as worn ones can severely impact your vision during inclement weather. If you observe your wiper blades to be worn, have them replaced.
- Lights: Inspect the head lights, reversing lights, parking lights, turn indicators, and emergency flashers.
Roadside Emergency Kit
An emergency kit can be customized for your individual or family requirements. The kit should contain a flash light with spare batteries, a cell phone with charger cord, a first-aid kit containing basic medicines and bandages, jumper cables, basic car tool kit, lifting jack and mat for changing a tire, flares, and a map.
Always Think About Safety
Ensure that everyone is buckled up and children are in their age and size appropriate seats. Stay focused on driving the vehicle and avoid distractions such as using a cell phone, adjusting the radio, or the GPS. If you feel tired or drowsy, let someone else take the wheel or stop and take a break.
We wish you a safe travels this summer!
Car Accident Attorney
Although you may take necessary precautions and drive carefully, it is unfortunate that many drivers do not. If you have been involved in a Chicago automobile accident due to the negligence of another driver, you may be entitled to compensation for damages and injuries. At Willens Law Offices we have a strong history of protecting the rights of Chicago injury victims. Call us today to request a free and private consultation.