Birth injuries, such as Brachial Plexus, are often a result of medical negligence and could have been prevented.
Child birth is a beautiful experience. However, it can present a number of complexities, putting the health of the mother as well the child in danger. While birth injuries can lead to devastating consequences, the sadly reality is that most birthing injuries are preventable. In this post, our Chicago birth injury lawyers will discuss brachial plexus injuries.
What is a Brachial Plexus Injury?
Brachial Plexus is an injury that affects a baby’s nerves in the shoulder area and occurs during the labor and delivery process. These injuries, are often caused due to medical negligence on part of the healthcare providers, lack of attention to childbirth related complications or difficulties that the laboring mother faces.
There are actually very few factors that can cause brachial plexus injuries during childbirth. New studies on Brachial Plexus injuries are aimed at providing new insights to medical practitioners about the factors that can lead to these injuries, risks associated with these injuries, and making appropriate decisions accordingly.
What Does the Research Say?
A recent study published in Journal of Perinatology has addressed the correlation between Brachial Plexus injuries and multi-parity. According to common belief, women who have had more than one natural or vaginal birth have a decreased risk of injuries like Brachial Plexus injuries in their children. However, the study refutes the claim.
The research was conducted based on data collected from a healthcare facility between October 2003 and March 2013. They studied 78 recorded cases of Brachial Plexus injuries during childbirth. The results were as follows –
- Out of these 78, about 91 percent of Brachial Plexus injury cases occurred during natural childbirth and seven percent during C-sections.
- 58 percent of Brachial Plexus injuries were seen in women with previous natural childbirths, and remaining 42 percent in first time mothers.
The study also discussed difference in birth weight of babies as a factor of occurring Brachial Plexus injuries. According to the study –
- Subsequent pregnancies are usually characterized by large birthweights (a median of 8.95 pounds) as compared to first time mothers (median weight of 7.92 pounds). This indicates that subsequent childbirths may have a higher risk of birth injuries.
Brachial Plexus injuries affect about 0.3 to 2 children out of every 1,000. Considering this number, it is essential to establish a relationship between the type of childbirth and the risks of injury. The study shows that unlike popular belief, women with previous natural births could be exposed to as many risks as women with previous C-section births.
Another concern that the study addressed is that about seventy-five percent of children suffering a Brachial Plexus injury at birth are diagnosed with Erb’s Palsy, resulting in debilitating consequences and permanent disabilities.
How Birth Injury Attorneys Can Help
Birth injuries can often be prevented. When a child suffers a birth injury like a Brachial Plexus injury, it puts immense stress on the entire family. In cases where negligence is suspected, a Chicago birth injury attorney can help the family understand their rights and get fair compensation for the injuries that resulted from negligence.
Call Willens Law Offices 24/7 at (312) 957-4166 for a free consultation. We want to help!