Car accidents are one of the biggest concerns facing traffic authorities in the United States. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) there were 35,092 fatalities on US roadways in 2015 and another 1.5 million cause a wide variety of injuries ranging from minor injuries to catastrophic ones. Matt Willens, a Top Chicago car accident lawyer will discuss some of the common external impact injuries sustained in car accident.
External Injuries from a Chicago Auto Accident
Car accidents often cause injuries that can be classified as internal or external injuries. Internal injuries include bleeding within body cavity, ruptured spleen, and traumatic brain injuries. While internal injuries are often difficult to diagnose, and may go unnoticed at the accident scene, external injuries can be easily diagnosed. Some of the common car accident external impact related injuries include:
- Swelling and bruising: The impact of the force of the crash can cause the vehicle occupants to get knocked around within the car. This can cause serious swelling, bruising, and muscle soreness.
- Cuts, open wounds and lacerations: Metal shards, shattered glass pieces, and impact force can cause lacerations, cuts, and gouges on the skin that can cause heavy bleeding. The severity of the cuts depends on the location and depth of the cut or laceration. If any of the arteries become nicked or severed, it can cause excessive bleeding, which requires immediate medical treatment. Any delay can cause death by blood loss.
- Broken bones: High impact collisions can cause the bones to easily chip and snap. Broken bones are easily identifiable because of rapid swelling and in more severe cases, it can protrude through the skin.
- Head injuries: Impact of the crash can cause bruising, swelling or cuts of the head, which can lead to brain injuries. So, it is important that can external head wounds are examined by a doctor to rule out any brain injury.
- Burn injury: Friction and car fires resulting from a crash can cause the metal to heat quickly, and scorch your skin, which can cause immense pain and leave permanent scars.
- Amputation: Broken glass, grinding force, and mangled and jagged metal can cause limbs to be severed. Amputations are arguably among the most serious outcomes of car accidents.
Seeking legal help in your car accident case
Treatment of car accident injuries can be both painful and very expensive. However, if you have been injured as a result of another person’s negligence or carelessness, you may be entitled to compensation. It is important that you discuss your case with a competent and experienced Chicago car wreck lawyer, who can review your case to find out whether you are entitled to compensation. The lawyer will protect your rights, and make sure that you get the compensation that you rightfully deserve.